Moving can be enjoyable, but it’s packing that sucks. Your enthusiasm for a new home quickly diminishes when you’re busy shoving your stuff in boxes so it doesn’t break on the way. But, there are some tricks that can help you make it all easier. Here are 5 ingenious tips to make moving as painless as possible.
1. It’s quite easy to say that you don’t have to wait until the last minute to start packing and planning for your move. However, that’s not really enough. Instead, get an early start. Start packing a few weeks in advance so that you won’t regret it one bit. Packing up early gives you the freedom to move boxes around your house so they’re not in your way.
Take your time and pace yourself. Above all, avoid the panicked crunch the week before or even the night before you move where you stay up until four in the morning packing. You have to completely avoid panicking knowing that the removalists will show up at nine in the morning, and you have a long day ahead of you.
2. Don’t try to move all of your prized possessions in a beat up Amazon boxes that have already been through the system once on their way to you. You don’t have to pay for your boxes. There are actually plenty of people looking to get rid of their boxes online. You can also score good quality boxes from your office or from local businesses like liquor stores and bookstores without paying anything.
However, the disadvantage to getting all of your boxes for free is that you don’t know what comes with them. All kinds of pests hitch a ride on boxes and would be happy to make your belongings their new home. So if you’re willing to pay, it may be worth it for your peace of mind. It’s more important that you get quality boxes.
3. Seriously, it’s never too early to start throwing away the crap you don’t want to move. Do it as soon as you know you’re going to move. Don’t stop chucking the unwanted until the day the removalists show up. If you have a lot of stuff, the best thing you can do is throw it all away or sell it and then earn what you really need on the other end.
You can host a going away garage sale or party and invite all of your friends to come take or buy everything you don’t want to move. Otherwise, you can even organise your own sale and really clean the house. Selling the things you have and want to get rid of lets you earn money to replace them or at least buy the things you want when you get to your new home.
4. The last thing you’ll want to do when you get to your new home is clean while you or your removalists are bringing all your boxes in. You’ll be busy trying to wipe off years old dust while they’ll want to know where you want your bookshelves. You could have handled that before you left your old place. You’ll probably be tired when you arrive at your new home. You’ll be happier to move clean furniture into a new and clean space so at least give yourself that treat.
5. Your movers may not keep an inventory of your belongings if you’re moving across town or even across state. They’ll probably just toss your things on an empty truck and empty the truck of all your things on the other end of your move. It’s best that you label all of your boxes and keep your own inventory.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.